As I prepare to take the Superintendent exam, I realize
that I have grown significantly in all domains and have noticed my growth not
only in my coursework, but also in my personal school leadership. I feel more confident in my decisions on my
campus and it allows me to explore new options that I have learned about and
figure out the connections between how my school fits into the bigger picture.
Domain I is Leadership of the Educational Community,
which I felt was one of my stronger areas in the beginning, however; I have
been extremely pleased with the areas that I now feel are a Strength that were
formally an area that I was competent in.
Competency 1, which deals with integrity and fairness in an ethical
manner, was something that I was comfortable with, however; I didn't have as
many resources to feel it was strength.
I feel that my competent areas are still addressing ethical issues on a
more global level. I believe that my
ability to do this well will grow as I am put in situations where I am dealing
with more personnel. Competency 2
discusses the culture and facilitating the development, articulation,
implementation and stewardship of a vision of learning that is shared and
supported by the educational community.
Being in a district that has a single focus goal helps me to build on my
level of comfort and expertise in this area as well as gain momentum in
community and staff support. I feel
comfortable leading committees and conversations regarding our goal and our
vision. Clear communication is key and I
feel comfortable not only with the conversations but also in finding ways to
implement and support a districts vision.
Implementation of strategies and techniques to monitor the vision over
time are things that I would like to learn more about, however; I do feel
comfortable with where I am in this domain.
Competency
3 addresses the superintendent's knowledge of communicating and
collaborating with families and community members, responding to diverse
community interests and needs, and mobilizing community resources to ensure
educational success for all students.
Although this is a large competency, communication is something that I
have always enjoyed and felt was extremely important in building and supporting
a culture and strong educational system.
I believe that technology is a valuable asset in this competency and I
feel that my comfort in using a variety of methods such as social media, email,
phone callouts, and letters help me to cover all avenues to ensure that
everyone in the system is informed. As a
school leader, messaging is key, and I have had the opportunity to experience a
variety of different media and communication situations that have allowed me to
see things from multiple perspectives and gain insight and knowledge into understanding
this Competency further. Competency 4
addresses the superintendent's knowledge of how to respond to and influence the
larger political, social, economic, legal, and cultural context, including
working with the board of trustees, to achieve the district's educational
vision. Of the four competencies within
this domain, I feel that this is the one where I have comfort, yet would like
to continue learn more about the political and social aspect of working the
with board and other community leaders.
I have had the opportunity to testify in Austin with my superintendent
on House Bill 5, and that experience allowed me to address the House of
Representative and the Board in my district in a new way; which gave me insight
into working on difficult educational issues with a variety of stakeholders
towards a common vision. Overall, this
Domain I am very comfortable in and yet, as a lifelong learner, will continue
to investigate, research and learn to strengthen my knowledge as an
administrator.
Domain II discusses Instructional
Leadership, and by nature of the work that we do, I feel that it is of upmost
importance that this area is an area of continuous improvement and growth as
times and practices change. Competency 5
within this domain is a crucial one within the district as the alignment of
curriculum and allocation of resources are something that building principals
are faced with every day. In addition,
measuring data points and having discussions about accountability and
improvement are important conversations regardless of the position that you
hold within a system. The question is do
you know what you responsibility should be within the conversation and what you
can bring to show improvement over time.
My coursework has provided me with different ideas and the opportunity
to network and build my comfort in this area.
I have also been able to experience new situations due to my internship
to afford me with new perspectives and ideas of how to facilitate and implement
protocols for data review. As a Texas
Superintendent, I believe that one of the areas that I must work on is ensuring
that my staff members and community understand the accountability system and
have a working knowledge of how to improve student performance. I although I understand looking at data and
making instructional decisions to improve student performance; I have only had
to do this at a school in which has very specific demographics and a student
population that I am familiar with. I
have never had to make these types of decisions on a global level with multiple
schools and varying needs. I feel this
is an area I need to improve and learn more about.
Competency 6 addresses the
superintendent's knowledge of how to advocate, promote, and sustain an
instructional program and a district culture that are conducive to student
learning and staff professional growth.
This was an easier competency for me to digest because this is something
that I feel that in my various roles and opportunities that have been afforded
to me both before the program and during my internship, that I clearly
understand how to implement, monitor. As
an instructional leader, modeling life long learning is crucial. Dr. Creel and Dr. Nicks have both discussed
the importance of remembering that we act as a role model and that the
importance of being an instructional leader and holding instruction and kids at
the center of what we do daily. To be an
instructional leader, you have to know the resources that you have, the
programs available, the best teachers in the system, the research that is
coming out, the technology that is available, and the needs of those within the
system. This competency could be the
most important to the students and teachers in order to ensure that they are
successful and that the culture promotes teacher growth and development and
student success.
Competency 7 has been one that my
internship has allowed me to grow and develop in a very powerful and meaningful
way by sitting on a steering committee that is developing the new teacher
development and assessment plan with the upcoming discontinuation of PDAS. My district is choosing to write a new
evaluation tool along with a long term professional development plan in order
to adequately train and support teachers as they grow in their learning and
move through the changing times and needs of students and schools. In addition, I have been blessed to attend
many job fairs which has allowed me to have the time necessary to probe those
closest to the work carefully to find out what they believe are important in
the recruitment, selection, induction, development and promotion of staff. I fell that the area of growth here for me
would be assessing the overall organizational health and climate by
implementing necessary strategies to improve the performance of all staff
members. Finding an appropriate tool to
measure climate and school health has been a challenge that I am currently
tackling in my doctoral program, and I look forward to growing and sharing my
knowledge with others upon the completion of my program.
The final domain is in administrative
leadership which coursework definitely helped to develop my understanding being
that budgeting and personnel on a global level were involved. Competency 8 deals with allocation of a variety
of resources such as budget and technology.
The coursework and internship provided me with opportunity to work with my
district superintendent of finance as well as the superintendent of HR in order
to observe and question various practices such as personnel management and
allocation of staff. In addition, I have learned a great deal about funding,
compliance, allocation of resources, accounting, auditing, and effective budget
planning and management. Although I have
had the luxury of learning how to manage and effectively run a campus budget,
the various components and aspects of a district budget are much more complex
and the process has strengthened my own personal growth on my campus. Technology integration has been an
interesting puzzle to unfold due to the fact that we just went through a
competitive bidding process to roll out and distribute new laptops to all of
our district employees. Watching this
process from the beginning has taught me ta great deal about computers,
technology and information systems, and legal concepts and code required. Although I have grown tremendously in this
area, the one area that I would like to continue to research and grow is in the
area of revenue forecasting to address personnel and budgetary needs accurately
for the district. This process moved
very quickly and I spent most of my time in observations taking notes to
research and wasn't as familiar with the terminology as I needed in order to
adequately follow the conversation.
Competency 9 regarding facilities
was one that I really understood and enjoyed learning in more detail through
coursework and experience. During my
time in education, I have had the pleasure of always being in a building under
major construction. Although this at the
time seemed inconvenient, I have learned a great deal about bond programs and
managing physical plans. This knowledge
has proven useful in a variety of capacities as well as in my own mission to
grow an understanding of the inner workings of appropriately running, maintaining,
and managing an educational facility.
The final competency, Competency 10 deals with decision making and
problem solving skills, which we all know are crucial in the work that we do in
the classrooms, schools and the administration building. I believe that this particular competency is
one that tests our leadership skills in action, and our ability to prioritize
and deal with situations exposes what we are capable of to the world. In addition, the strategies that we use to
work and guide others are some of the most important skills that we will
sharpen over time and my internship allowed me the opportunity to learn from
some of the mentors that I have had that have helped me to grow and develop
over time.
Overall, this course has forced me
to grow in specific areas and really sharpen my skills as a leader and learning
the competencies was incredible and really pushed me as a leader.
Jen,
ReplyDeleteI want to applaud you in your efforts to communicate and collaborate with members of your educational community. Your use of various social media platforms has provided you a solid foundation to keep improving your campus. You efforts have been a motivation for me to think outside the box in communicating. Like you I feel I have learned a lot and grown during this internship time and I know you will continue moving up and impacting more people with your leadership skills.