Sunday, June 16, 2013

Superintendent Reflection


In interviewing Dr. Jennifer Blaine, Associate Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction, she opened my eyes to many different ideas and was very clear in her message.  The first answer that really stood out to me was the one where she talked about the relationship that she had with the board (competency 4), and her discussion about the relationship she was allowed to have with the board as a member of Senior Staff.  She talked about trusting her staff and building strong relationships with the board.  She emphasized the meaning of strong relationships with the board; I will remember this as I move in the system.
            Communicating and emphasizing a shared vision was the next part that stood out to me.  She talked a lot about being consistent and crystal clear in your message as you deliver it.  In addition, she discussed the importance of communicating your message frequently and with passion.  This piece of vision also brought forth the 3rd competency in dealing with communication.  As stated earlier, being crystal clear and consistent in the message makes for a smooth running system with everyone on the same page and a system moving in the same direction.  In addition, competency 8 was enlightening in the sense that she talked about managing resources with the right people.  Knowing what you want your system to do, finding the resources and people to manage and make your vision happen, and then allowing them the freedom and trusting that they will do a great job in managing the resources allocated to them.
Finally, Competency 9 discussed the physical plant and support system, which is an area that I am uncomfortable.   Listening to her talk made me realize that I should spend more time learning about the physical plant and support systems so that I can increase my knowledge in this area.

1 comment:

  1. Being consistent in your message seems to be common theme from a lot of our interviews. I can appreciate a clear vision. I have worked in a school who had no vision or mission. Without the direction the campus was very unsuccessful and the administration was replaced. I can only imagine how much damage can be done if the district does not have a clear vision or mission as it impacts so many more students than the campus level. This is something I have tried to make a priority for me as a leader.

    ReplyDelete