Part D: Reflections on Reflective Leadership
Reflection
is a skill that although we begin at a young age, can often times disappear if
not constantly fine-tuned and refined.
In addition, reflection is also something that some may not find
valuable and not make time to do in the world that we live in. I believe that people forget to reflect on
their work because the job of being school leader is one that the job of being
a school leader is one that is fast paced and often time moving from one thing
to another leaving us very little time to critically think about the work that
we have completed before jumping into the next item on our to do list.
When
reflecting back on my superintendent course work, there are several
opportunities and activities in which I feel have helped to shape me to become
a better leader and to change my future path due to deep thinking about the
completed work. The first course that I
believe changed me was the hardest course of the program for me
personally. In EDLD 5342, I learned
about the detailed inner workings of school finance and the complicated systems
that must run fluidly in order to appropriately run a school district. As mentioned in previous posts, I am a new
building principal, so the world of school finance terrified me before entering
this role. I had limited encounters with
school finance and my understanding about how it worked was minimal. I had run several small budgets before, but
the task of running a much larger budget was terrifying. Through my internship and the coursework
required by the professors, I took the task of learning about Weighted ADA,
building a school budget, and staffing formulas seriously in that I knew that I
must become much more familiar with how they are calculated and managed much more
seriously and left the course feeling more confident and supported by those who
could provide me with answers to lingering questions and situations which I
might have been unfamiliar with. School
finance although still scary, is a part of the job that I am less fearful of
and much more confident in my skills as a leader. When I reflect on the courses, I am proud of
the growth that I showed in this 5-week course and look forward to continuing
to learn and grow in this area.
The
second part of the program that I felt changed me, as a leader was my
internship, EDLD 5396. When looking
through my campus activity logs, I recognize that I was afforded many
opportunities that have become invaluable and have helped me to build networks
and relationships that will pay off dividends in the long run. A few examples of the most meaningful
internship experiences were the opportunity to testify in Austin with my
superintendent regarding House Bill 5, working on several cross-functional
teams to support the work of the district, and learning more about the
leadership pipeline and how to support the work that they were doing to build
capacity and future leaders within the system.
In typing this I realize how wonderful these opportunities were and that
the conversations and relationships that I built throughout the process will
forever guide the work that I do as a leader, whether it be as a building
principal or central level administrator, from this point on. I had several people show me that they
believed in the work that I was doing and the work that I was capable of
achieving and that confidence will help me in my efforts to achieve new levels
as a leader. I think about the
conversations that I had with various people and advice I was given often when
making decisions and I don't know that without my internship that I would have
been given the same opportunities.
Next,
the assignments that I enjoyed the most were all of the interviews that we
conducted throughout the program.
Although I have worked in the same district for my entire education
career, the superintendents and senior staff seemed to be busy people who
worked hard and were constantly going from one thing to another. Conducting the interviews allowed for me to
stop and see the people behind the job and reminded me that everyone needs that
opportunity to see that side of a leader.
Since conducing the interviews, I have made more time to allow my staff
to stop and get to know me as a person while still continuing to finish the
work of principal, and the culture and climate of my school has changed
dramatically. I will continue to be
mindful of this as I work through my program and continue on my leadership
journey.
The blogs
and discussions that I had during this course were great opportunities to learn
about others who are embarking on this journey of becoming a school leader and
I know that several of them will become superintendents who I hope to be given
the opportunity to work with over time.
As in my doctoral program, I feel that one of the greatest strength of
the design of the program are the relationships that we build with others as we
move through the process. I have gained
so much from the insightful comments that my peers have provided me and they
have challenged my thinking on a variety of topics. There are a couple of classmates that I pick
up the phone and call to talk through situations and scenarios which in the
past I might have just jumped right into the solution and I believe that is a
real example of reflection. For example,
the entire state is trying to solve the issue of writing and why so many students
are struggling, and with the Superintendent program, I was able to call some
local principals to discuss the work that they are doing to ensure that I am
not just spinning my wheels at my own campus.
In turn, I then called our central office to share my findings, which
saved us hours of time in the long run.
In addition, even last weeks job entry plan assignment made me think
about the first 365 days as a superintendent or campus leader and I have
changed my mind hundreds of times about the work that I would do in the first
7, 14, 28, and 365 days.
The last
six months were intense to say the least, but looking back on the insight and
experience, I wouldn't change any of it for another one. I honestly believe that the superintendent
program has been a fantastic experience for me and there are skills and
practices that I learned that will be with me throughout my career. Being a superintendent is more than just
passing a test, it is about learning to lead the people that you work with and
having them in returning wanting to follow.
I know that I am not ready today, but I am confident in time, and with
the support of my colleagues, that I will eventually get there. Thank you
Jen,
ReplyDeleteI agree that we often times get so busy that we neglect to reflect on our actions although they can provide a solid foundation for personal growth. We must carve out time for these types of activities to move forward and refine our leadership abilities. There were two things that stuck out for me regarding what you said. First, school finance is the most daunting thing we tackled and we are more informed in these areas I know we will continue to learn. Secondly, the relationships we have built in this program will serve us well as we progress. I too have picked up the phone and called classmates as they are a valuable resource in my development. I think it would be great to work with you some day in leading meaningful change for students.
Jen,
ReplyDeleteAgreed, amongst some of the aministrivia the art of reflection can be completely lost. I have read in one of Dave Ramsey's books that if we spend 15 minutes a day at the beginning of the day to get organized that we will be multitudes more productive. I wonder if the same thing goes for reflection. That if we were to take time to fit reflection into our busy day, how much more effective could we be as leaders? I wonder of those principals or school leaders that do reflect, how effective are they (as a result of reflection) are they compared to their non-reflecting colleagues?
I love your last thought/reflection, "Being a superintendent is more than just passing a test, it is about learning to lead the people that you work with and having them in returning wanting to follow." It seems you have truly caught the essence of the Lamar Superintendent program.
Thank you for sharing,
Mike