My experience in running a
budget was not something that I was familiar with before this year. This
year I embarked on running a school budget, which was eye opening in
itself. I had no way of understanding
before now the complexity of developing and running a district budget. The thought that has to go into creating a
district budget, the timeline in which you must follow to the letter of the law
and the implementation of various procedures and the thought that must go into
the specific allocation of your resources is difficult. The devil is in the details. When it comes to budget and finance, there is
no room for error, no place for error, all errors and mistakes end up resulting
in difficulties for students, teachers, and community members. The precision that must be put into correctly
allocating funds in a large system is crucial.
Everything from staffing formulas to
personnel allotments was new. The
following policies were all interesting to read and learn more about.
Fund balance levels
Debt service fund balance accumulation
Investment requirements
Property tax exemption parameters
Financial performance comparison measures
Staffing levels
Debt service fund balance accumulation
Investment requirements
Property tax exemption parameters
Financial performance comparison measures
Staffing levels
There were so many parts of
this document that were interesting and overwhelming to read. Between the ADA formulas, title funds, and allocations
for special programs, there are several details and informational pieces that
it is important to know and understand.
Financial responsibility is crucial and it takes a person who really
understands it and can quote these regulations and responsibilities to accurately
and effectively run a school budget.
Jen I like you was virtually unfamiliar with budgeting and regulations prior to taking this position as the assistant athletic director. I am now responsible for overseeing those 45 sub accounts in addition to the high school allotment budget that funds AVID the other program I oversee. I feel blessed to have a CFO that works with me and helps me avoid the pitfalls of budgeting mistakes. As they say there are two things that can get you fired immediately, money and honey. I continue to learn every day of the things the law requires and work to educate those under me of the things they need to do to help keep us on the good side of purchasing law.
ReplyDelete